So… after trying to create Danny close to the doodle style I ran into a few problems. First.. the other parts of the game art are much closer to games like “The Chaos Engine” or JRPGs. Second, creating a character in 32 x 32 pixels is really, really hard. I took a look at the character sprites in Chaos Engine and have to admit (again) that the artist did some big magic 🙂
I then checked for some tutorials on pixel art character creation and found a few useful guides. After following one guide my first JRPG-style character base was complete. It looks quite similar to the one in the tutorial , but I guess that happens when you follow a guide on how to do something.
One more thing I decided was to scale up the image size to make it a bit easier to create details on the characters.